USA TODAY and National Geographic Channel have partnered on a special tabloid edition: 50 Years Later – A Salute to the Veterans of the Vietnam War. The special edition marks the 50thanniversary of the start of the Vietnam War.
The 48-page all color special edition includes:
- A look at Vietnam veterans from all 50 states, each representing a different aspect of post-Vietnam life in the USA. Some of the veterans are well-known, such as Arizona Senator John McCain, Massachusetts Senator John Kerry and Virginia Senator Jim Webb. Others are unsung heroes who often did not return home to the kind of accolades today’s combat service members receive.
- A letter from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta talking about the contributions of Vietnam veterans and the divisive reception they received when they first came home.
- A look at the last men to die in the Vietnam War and the legacy of the iconic Vietnam Memorial—the black wall with the names of all the war’s dead inscribed on it.
- Exclusive photos of the conflict and an essay from National Geographic Channel on its documentary about the war, Inside the Vietnam War, which will be rebroadcast Dec. 28.
- A report on life in Vietnam 50 years later and how today’s Vietnamese view the conflict.
The special edition is on newsstands now and can also be ordered online at http://service.usatoday.com/specialeditions. This is the third special tabloid edition that USA TODAY and National Geographic Channel have partnered on in 2012. Titanic – 100 years later was published in March and Your Guide to the National Parks was published in May.